I can’t help but think of the conflict between proponents of New Criticism and the Reader Response theory. Essentially, New Criticism sees a text as something that stands alone and exists almost in a vacuum and that interpretation the text relies on the text and its structure. Reader Response theory argues that texts are inherently connected to their context and that the context of the writer and the context of the reader play an important role in how it’s interpreted. When I think about stories, I see how both a New Criticism eye can be valuable, but, for me, it’s impossible to not let my own experiences and opinion color the way I read or tell something.
Generally, I found myself nodding in agreement with Lambert and his seven steps. However, I bristled a little at the “Sharing your story” step, because I believe that a story doesn’t have to have an audience necessarily. I mean, I understand that generally storytelling is something communal, something shared, but I think that stories can be valuable just in the creation of them.
I totally agree that "stories can be valuable just in the creation of them." Often when I write, the stories sometimes take me to a place of understanding that I didn't even know I was looking to find. Writing is very often a way of constructing meaning and the very process of putting words together can be a method of discovery.
ReplyDeleteI would still argue that stories are meant to be shared; however, maybe some stories are meant to share only with that part of ourselves that needs to relive or process an event or come to some sort of understanding--a sort of audience of one.