I really liked the “feel good” tone of the Collins and Cooper (1997) article. They articulated many of the things that I love about storytelling: the archetypal need to tell stories (p. 1-2), stories as a “vehicle for discovering who we are” and for “making sense of our world” (p. 3), and stories as a way to build relationships (p. 6). I thought often of Barbara Kamler’s (2001) Rediscovering the Personal, where she argues that all writing is personal—all writing starts with a story.
I also thought of some of my favorite teachers and I think what I liked about them what that they made their content area a story. I distinctly remember one undergrad history class that I loved because every day was like story time with Dr. Pratt.
Hartley and McWilliam, I think, took the idea of the personal and pulled it out of the classroom and into the world. I can see how digital storytelling is a “social movement” (p. 4). Because of the ubiquity of the internet, digital storytelling can be a powerful medium for social justice. I think we saw the worldwide grassroots power of the internet during the Arab spring. Digital storytelling holds so much power because it taps into the best of several media: the “emotional charge of confessional disclosure, the authenticity of the documentary, and the simple element of the format” (p. 5).
On page 7, Hartley and McWilliam discuss the uneven development of digital storytelling across the world. I’m sure much of this is due to access to technology. But I also wonder if some of it is due to cultural differences. I’m wondering in societies that are more collective and value the group over the individual, if they would be less likely to embrace something like this. Digital storytelling, in a way, is an act of narcissism. It’s saying my voice is important and someone would like to hear what I have to say. Of course, I believe having a voice is important, but I imagine that’s because I’m an American with certain individualistic ideals. I wonder if other cultures might see things differently.
Collins, R. & Cooper, P. (1997). The power of story: Teaching through storytelling (2nd. Ed). Longgrove, IL: Waveland Press. [Ch. 1]
Hartley, J., & McWilliam, K. (2009). Computational power meets human contact. In J. Hartley & K. McWilliam (Eds.), Story Circle: Digital storytelling around the world. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell
Ohler (2008). Chapter 2. Defining and Discussing Digital Storytelling: Helping Teachers See, Think, and Talk About Digital Storytelling
No comments:
Post a Comment